Monday, May 4, 2009

Life Moments

Life is made up of hundreds, if not thousands of moments where things change quickly. It’s the moment where you are intent on one project or purpose and something of extreme importance jumps in the mix. It is the moment where your plans are all coming together and suddenly everything falls apart. That was the story of my life this past weekend.

Friday I was actually enjoying a beautiful day outside while I was trimming bushes in our yard. The weather was gorgeous; I was feeling a sense of accomplishment and pride in finally tackling a project I had put off far too long. I had a momentary thought as I held a vine that needed to be cut that went like this: “I probably shouldn’t do this; I CAN’T BELIEVE I JUST DID THAT!!”

The next thing I know I am in the emergency room getting stitches. The yard work remains incomplete, my finger still throbs when I hit it on something and for the next two weeks, I will have to try and keep my finger dry. I will probably catch Swine Flu because I can’t wash my hands completely!!

Life happens. As I remarked when I was calling my wife to have her take me to the hospital, “You can’t fix stupid.” But how do we respond afterward? The finger deal is a small thing. It could have been much worse. It really is an annoyance more than anything else. But I find in my life that moments like this sidetrack me and cause me to lose focus on the most important things.

The best thing we can do to avoid being sidetracked by the circumstances in life is to remember the words from the author of the book of Hebrews: “Let us keep our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith.” When we see life’s circumstances through the eternal eyes of the eternal Christ, we are able to gain a measure of balance. As the insurance commercial states: “Life comes at your pretty fast.” How are you going to respond?

No comments: