Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Content Heart

“When the LORD heard them, he was very angry; his fire broke out against Jacob, and his wrath rose against Israel, for they did not believe in God or trust in his deliverance. Yet he gave a command to the skies above and opened the doors of the heavens; he rained down manna for the people to eat, he gave them the grain of heaven.” Psalm 78:21-24

In this Psalm, the psalmist is reminding the nation of Israel of the rebellion that the nation displayed toward God. He reminded them that when they rebelled, God punished them. Ultimately, God loved his people so much he provided for them and gave them food from heaven to fill their stomachs.

As I read through this psalm today I was reminded of how often I sin against God. And yet, God has never turned his back on me. He has met my need over and over again. And I, like the nation of Israel, have over and over again complained about God’s provision (or what I perceive as his lack thereof).

Today I want to focus my heart on thankfulness. I want a heart of gratitude and love toward God. I want to remember that everything good that comes into my life if a gift from God above (James 1:17) and that the struggles in my life are largely due to the fact that I fail to live in line with God’s provision or his plans.

Lord, forgive my greed. I pray for a heart content with your love and grace. I pray that thankfulness will be my character and joy my attitude. Amen

No comments: