Monday, December 15, 2008

Discontent

Every now and then God likes to mess with me. Not in a mean or cruel way, but occasionally he takes my thoughts and feelings about an idea and reminds me that I know nothing. It is a very humbling experience and it makes me crazy at times. At other times it encourages me that God has everything under control.

I had this myth going on in my head for a while that said to be a really good leader I needed to be “discontent” with stuff. I needed to strive for perfection, I needed to demand more out of myself and I needed to require a greater level of discipline. While some of that is true, God has smacked me upside the head this week to remind me that he has called me to be content in all my circumstances.

First, let me tell you what I am not discontent about. I am not discontent with being a husband and father. I am not discontent of pastoring LifeQuest Church. I am not discontent that I will never be able to dunk a basketball or have a Porsche.

I am discontent over not being a better husband and father. I am discontent that I feel like I am not a great leader at LifeQuest. I am discontent that some of my dreams and plans are not going exactly where I desired them to go. It is in my own failures that I am discontent.

My thoughts of what it means to be a good husband and father are all about me being a good example and model. My ideas of being a great pastor are all about me leading a charge against the gates of hell. My discontent about my dreams center around me not accomplishing my own thing.

Philippians 4:12-13 says “I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.”

The secret to contentment is moving off of our agenda and onto God’s. It is giving up our plans and surrendering to God’s plans for us. It is letting ourselves become lost in the glory and fame of Jesus.

I know that for a while I am going to be “discontent” learning to be “content.”

No comments: