Monday, April 20, 2009

Imagineers


I spent last week on vacation with my family. We went with some of our good friends camping at Fort Wilderness in Disney. It was great to have a few days to relax, unwind, and catch our breath after the big Easter push. We spent a day at Epcot and laughed and enjoyed one another as we got soaked by the rain and chilled by the wind. But all in all it was a great time.

One of the incredible things about being at Disney is realizing that someone dreamed up all of the cool stuff. Someone designed the flowers, someone engineered the rides, and someone designed the costumes of the workers. At Disney, those people are called Imagineers.

While I was gone I couldn’t escape the idea that coming back and speaking on Sunday morning was going to be a huge challenge. It wasn’t just that it was hard to get back into preparation mode from vacation, it was that the message God has been brewing in my heart has such deep relevance for us as a church and more importantly for me as a leader.

Yesterday I launched our “Imagine” series. I spoke of how after the resurrection and the ascension of Jesus into heaven his apostles could never imagine what God had in store for them. In the same way, as 21st century American Christians I feel like we have only scratched the surface of what God wants to do in us and through us to impact this culture.

What would happen if we as followers of Christ really developed the understanding of living I the “power” of the Holy Spirit of God today? Is it possible that within a matter of year’s countries and cultures could be changed as they were in the first century? Is it possible that instead of thousands of people entering eternity without Jesus every day, more and more would enter eternity with Jesus? Is it possible that instead of Newsweek declaring the death of Christianity we could see the death of Newsweek? Imagine!!!

I am praying today that God will begin a renewal in me. I am praying that God will revive our church and that we will see his name and his fame lifted up in ways that we cannot take credit for. I want to see the power of God. Can you "Imagine?"

No comments: