Friday, April 10, 2009

Passion Thoughts 5

“And they crucified him.” Mark 15:24. This is what we call “Good Friday.” Nothing seems good about it to me. Every year this day of the year is filled with a deeper sense of history than any other. I reflect back through the biblical narrative on what was happening to Jesus that day almost two thousand years ago. And my heart is filled with angst, frustration, guilt and pain.

I also recognize that without Good Friday my life would be hopeless. I would not have life and freedom that is found through the sacrifice of Jesus. Good Friday is good because of the eternal rewards that come from the pain and shame of the cross. Jesus had an eternal view of the cross.

“Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” Hebrews 12:2

If Jesus could find joy in the cross, how much more should we cherish the goodness of the events of Good Friday?

No comments: