Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Beginnings

I am worn out and beat up this morning. I am at the same time excited, energetic and hopeful. Today I started a new exercise program. I got up early, got Emily off to school and Alana and I did a video workout with Bob from “The Biggest Loser” TV show. I used to be an athlete. I used to be lean, strong and do everything I can to gain weight. Now I am pudgy, out of shape and fondly remembering the days when I weighed less than two bills.

But today I did it. I worked by butt off!! Well, not yet, but it is on the way. And I am excited about it. I have been fairly active. I play basketball with the kids, I walk the dog (more precisely he walks me) and I try to do some things to grow stronger. But it has been nothing organized. One of the most difficult parts of working out is getting started.

The same is true in our personal walk with God. One of the most difficult things to do is to actually choose to get going. I hear people tell me all the time that they don’t have time to read the bible, time to go to Life Group or time to focus on making their marriage better. But they have time for movies, football games, and hanging out with their friends.

I am not trying to be a pain or to be a legalist. I am just stating some facts. You have time for the things you CHOOSE to have time to do. If you choose to invest in God’s Word, you will gain the reward. If you choose to attend worship services or Life Group, you will get the reward. If you choose to grow closer to your spouse you will.

What choices are you making? What decisions are y9ou making that you need to re-think? Where are you putting your time and energy?

No comments: