Thursday, September 4, 2008

Clearing Out the Clutter

I spent some time today just cleaning up my office. I threw some stuff away, I moved some furniture around, and basically just tried to get it livable. The clutter was becoming overwhelming. Books were stacked on books, journals were all over the place and notes from messages delivered months ago were still in the metal tray on my desk. So, today stuff got cleaned out.

I hate doing this. I don't like deciding what I should keep and what needs to go. i don't like deciding if I am someday going to need that pamphlet from some ministry somewhere doing something. But sometimes we simply must clear out the clutter. So, some old mementos went i the trash and some furniture was rearranged and the books actually made it to the shelf.

My overall goal is to hopefully make my life a little more productive. I want to feel energized when I come into the office, not overwhelmed. I want a place where I can be creative, productive and organized. In order to move ahead, it is necessary to let go of the past.

I know life gets cluttered. From the junk we get int he mail, to kids school projects, to books we will get to "someday," life can be a pit of junk. But in order to really accomplish what God created us to do with our lives, we must make some space. We must create the opportunity for God to move and work within us.

I don't know how long the fresh look will last in the office. But I like the feel. I like that some steps were taken to move me forward in my work and ministry. Now, if I can just remember where I put everything I will be in good shape.

No comments: