Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Simply Amazing!!!

I am intrigued by illusionists and magicians. Brock Gill makes me stop and stare at some of the stuff he does. David Copperfield did some amazing stuff in his day. And David Blaine...well, two out of three isn't bad!!

I love to watch entertainers and see what they are going to do next. I marvel at their slight of hand. I am puzzled by their acts that seem to defy gravity, physics, and logic. I am amazed that elephants can seem to appear and disappear with incredible ease.

So I was very disillusioned a few years ago when the Masked Magician showed how all the tricks worked. You know they are mere tricks and illusions, but there is something fun about not knowing exactly how it works. So when the Masked Magician showed me how an elephant disappears on national TV, I was little bummed.

This morning I was reading in Zechariah 3. The prophet has a vision where he sees Joshua dressed in filthy rags. The rags are a symbol of the sin of the nation of Israel. It is a sign of how they have turned their back on God. Then, something amazing happens.

God says, "See I have taken away your sin, and I will put rich garments on you." (3:4) God takes away the sin of the nation and clothes them with rich and clean garments. No trick, no gimmick, no illusion. God simply changes the nation.

When I realize the God of the Universe has that kind of love for me I am amazed. I stand in awe of the fact that God would take all my filth and clothe me in his righteousness. It is not some illusion or magic. It is the infinite power of the loving God of creation.

Now that is amazing!!!

No comments: