Monday, September 15, 2008

Life Happens!!!

Life happens!!! I know, obvious isn’t it? But as I have been praying and thinking this morning I am just at the point of thinking, “God, why does life always seem to happen to me?” Ever felt that way? I’m sure I am the only one.

I have been riding a lot of waves lately, and I have not been surfing. It just seems like life has been getting in the way of my plans, my dreams, my vision, and my desires. I just keep having this nagging thought that says, “God if you will just handle _______________ than everything will be great.” But life doesn’t always work that way.

This morning I was reading the book of Zephaniah. Yes, it is in the bible. Yes, it follows on the heels of my reading Amos and Obadiah. Yes, it is still relevant today. Throughout the book God is telling people that he is going to destroy them for disobedience, he is going to punish their wicked ways, and that there is no hope for those who have set up false gods and are worshipping the stars. (It is exactly the book you want to read if you are feeling a little over the top.)

But, at the end of the book God makes some awesome claims. He says that for those who seek him there will be deliverance. For those who have been faithful there will be celebration. He says, “The Lord is with you, he is mighty to save.”

I can’t always hang my hat on my feelings. I can’t always rely on my abilities or strengths. I can’t always trust my vision of life. But, I can be assured that God is with me. I have spoken with so many people these days who are hurting. Life is running them over. I described my feelings last night to some friends as “it’s a dog eat dog world and I am wearing Milk Bone underwear.” It’s not an original line, and not exactly theological, but it was as deep as I could go at the moment!!!

What I want to share with you today is that there is the certainty that God has not abandoned us. When all else seems lost, God is still God and he is still in control. If you are feeling a little crazy and that life is happening all over you, read Zephaniah. It will take about 15 minutes and then you will hit the core truth that sustains us all: God is still here taking great delight in us.

No comments: