Tuesday, March 24, 2009

God of This City

I did something yesterday that is totally out of my normal mindset. I tend to be a fairly cautious person. I don’t make bold claims. I don’t recall ever saying, “God told me to say this.” Yesterday I felt like God was speaking to me and asking me to make some big claims.

I left my office with a pen and a note pad and went to a park in Palm City. I sat there and wrote whatever God laid on my heart. Some were dreams, some were message ideas, and some were questions. As I sat there asking God to help us reach the people of our community who are hurt, broken and have no idea of who he is, I had a distinct feeling he was asking me to do something. I share this not to sound holier than thou or as if I have some special insight into what God is doing. I really have more questions than answers. Here is where it may get a little weird for you.

I got up from the table, got in my car, put my iPod on the “God of This City” by Chris Tomlin and drove around the city. I simply had the song on repeat and played it over and over again as I asked God to do greater things than we can imagine in Palm City. I drove around different areas of our city simply praying that God would give us that area for his kingdom. I know, it weirds me out as well!!!

I don’t have any idea what God will do. I don’t know if anyone will come to know him because we start praying for it or if he will fill the seats with people seeking him. I am simply praying that he will be God of this city and that we will be a part of declaring it to everyone we meet.

I am asking for you to join me in that prayer. Whatever city you live in, whatever your church background, declare that God is the one who is in control. Declare that he is the one who can do anything.

“Greater things are yet to come/ Greater things are still to be done/ in this city/ We believe in You God.”

Not one person will enter the kingdom of God simply because some goofy pastor drives around town with a song playing. But the scripture tells us that God is able to do more than we can ask or imagine him doing. The implication is that God wants us to ask. So I am asking. What about you?

No comments: