Monday, March 9, 2009

She Calle Me Sir!!

I turned 40 this year and didn’t really think that much about my age. I feel good, I am content with the major areas of my life, and the number of years has never really bothered me. Until Saturday.

I went with a group of friends from church to see the Florida Panthers hockey game. After the game BarlowGirl was doing a concert in the arena. We had been having a blast. I love arena food, the action on the ice was fun, and my kids were experiencing their very first hockey game so it was all new to them. Plus Alana and I were getting to hang out with some people we don’t get to hang out with very often.

After the game we moved from our nosebleed seats to the lower arena for the concert. We got settled in our seats and then it happened. This young teenage girl came up to me and said, “Excuse me, sir. Are these seats taken?” I was crushed. Sir!! She called me sir!! Doesn’t she know that I am actually a very cool dad? I had jeans, a hoody and my cool new glasses on. My glasses say young and cool all at the same time. They are the cool new frames that are a cross between Dilbert and Elvis Costello. Sir!! I was about to smack someone.

I was content to let her and her friends sit and simply let it go. Then my “friend” Carlos, sitting a row behind me and ten seats on the other side said, “Did she just call you sir?” Then everyone else in the group started. It was a good thing the concert started shortly or we would have been having the whole sweater over your head, ice hockey brawl right there.

We got home at 2:00 in the morning that night. I had to be up at 6:30 and ready to preach the next day. After church I had a three hour nap. I realized I now routinely go to bed at 10:00 and I can’t eat anything with onions after 8:00. I need coffee to really wake up and to be honest hair is growing out of my body in places hair was never designed to grow. As much as it hurts to say it, I guess I am a sir after all. Does anyone have any prune juice and a Snuggie I can borrow?

No comments: